Why I quit drinking alcohol.


I had some elaborate 5000 word post floating around in my head, but screw it, I’m going lazy and pulling out a bulleted list.

  •  I’m struggling with putting on muscle, I’ve been stalled for quite some time. My assumption is that alcohol is contributing to my lack of progress. I’ve been told I “look bigger” recently, but I don’t see it myself. Per the first rule of self experimentation, if something isn’t changing tweak your variables.
  • My sleep quality sucks, I’m fairly certain 90% of this is work stress related. Since its difficult to change that in any meaningful and rapid way, I think the other 10% of bad sleep is caused by alcohol in my system in the evening. While I don’t drink beer every day, it is quite common to have 3-6 beers a few nights a week. While I don’t see any potential huge gains in sleep quality here, if I can tweak it then thats good.
  • Considering one of the most important contributors to muscle growth is quality sleep, the first two work hand in hand.
  • I’m dedicated to writing a book, considering the only time I have to work on this is early morning. I’m confident ditching beer will allow me to rise at 4:30am more consistently, hence creating time blocks for writing.
  • I really believe that rising early is a habit, and the best way to ingrain a habit is to repeat it EVERY day. Like most people I tend to up that 3-6 beer per night consumption on the weekend. Thus contributing to me not rising early seven days a week. By totally eliminating alcohol my odds of rising at 4:30 seven days a week and putting in the work is considerably heightened.
  • Alcohol is just a waste of calorie consumption, if I’m going to consume an extra 1000 calories a night it might as well be a juicy steak not liquid calories with no redeeming value. At least the steak gives me some muscle building fat and protein.

Recent link that pushed me over the tipping point: How to Treat Life Like An Experiment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *