Why You Don’t Stick to a Habit
The most common reasons people don’t stick to a habit:
- Habit is too difficult.
- You don’t enjoy doing it.
- Too many habits at once (habits are hard!).
- Too many other things going on.
- Changes in routine (sick, travel, visitors, big project at work).
- Not really motivated to do it.
- You talk yourself out of it.
- You miss a day or two and get discouraged.
There are other reasons too: people actively discourage you from changing, or you think negative thoughts about your ability to change, or you overdo it in the beginning and then run out of enthusiasm.